Monday, August 22, 2016

PINK BATH REVEAL

Dear Olive,

Our pink bathroom construction days are at their end.


Just in time for the salvation of my sanity, I can finally use a facility absent of prying preschooler eyes.


I couldn't be happier with the finished product.  I'm so glad that we didn't compromise on the vision and even more pleased that Julie convinced me not to try to squeeze a claw foot tub in the space.

The recessed cabinet turned out to be a perfect fit and the contractor even built up the top of the cupboard so that it met the ceiling.  Everything above the glass doors is new build stained to match.  I used this product again to achieve the finish and was reminded of how easy it was to use.


I found a few original pink tiles and we added them as trim to the corner bench to create a cohesive look between the two spaces. 


Our contractor created a recessed alcove for our shampoos and convinced me to upgrade to this shower fixture, which was a great recommendation.


We went with penny hex for the black stripes and on the floors.  We used glossy tile outside of the shower and matte tile inside, apparently so the floor would not be a slippery death trap.


The cupboard opens to reveal a desk, which I painted with Sherwin William's Cyber Space to match the walls.


I organized our towels and toiletries in the desk so that I can use it as a vanity.


Here are some things I've learned in our remodel:  
1.  The right contractor makes all the difference.  Ours had a great attention to detail and was very gracious about problem solving and small changes.

2.  Hire someone else to take measurements.  I suck at tape measuring.  Hiring a designer to map out the elevations was key to preventing the whole thing from becoming a giant sinkhole.

3.  Painting a small bathroom seems easy.  It is not.  It will not take you the 30 minutes you estimate. Because it is small (much like children), it will be difficult and uncooperative.  It will take you two weeks of evenings to complete.  Afterwards, you will have more paint in your hair than on your brush and people will judge you at the grocery store for having black fingernails.  Your character will not be better for this.  Next time: Hire. It. Out.


From the before to the dream to the plan to the construction to the after, consider yourself schooled in pink bathrooming.


No comments:

Post a Comment