Friday, July 31, 2015

BATHROOM FACELIFT: CABINETS

Dear Olive,

After I solved the builder grade mirror problem in our jack and jill bathroom, I had the secondary problem of mismatched cabinets.  I read up on how to DIY re-staining the cabinetry with java gel stain here.


I'm pretty satisfied with how the final product turned out.  The time commitment was only about 3 hours total.  I didn't have to sand or strip the previous wood even though it had a varnish over it.  I just wiped General Finishes Java Gel Stain over the wood with an old sock.


It took three coats of gel stain and one clear coat of satin polyurethane.  I ended up mixing the java gel and candlelight stain to better match the antique mirror.  I just mixed half and half so the final finish wouldn't be too dark.



 I got pretty lazy at the end and put the last coats on after I had already rehung the doors.  If I had known how easy the process was, I likely would have kept the doors on the whole time. 


I splurged on some Anthropologie handles, I'm glad for the final finish.  I'd rather have strong home finishes than jewelry anyway.


And then I found this fabulous birch cloth curtain at an antique store to tie in the mint and red accents.  I didn't even have to hem it!





I've already been eyeballing other wood items in my home to stain.  So satisfying!

3 comments:

  1. i love the creative ideas you have shared on this page. drawers knobs are beautiful and your approach of taking pictures for mirror cabinets is impressing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abilene! Anything to refrain from catching my image whilst wearing ripped up sweatshirts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit, I have not been on this web page in a long time... however it was another joy to see It is such an important topic and ignored by so many, even professionals. I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issues roofing

    ReplyDelete